Dinner tonight was Hiyasi Chuka, egg noodles served cold with sliced tomato, cucumber and ham and with a white sesame sauce. It's tangy and has a great sesame taste. It's a favorite dish in the summer. Also Junko made croquette with leftover pumpkin and potato salad. It tasted great served with a little okonomiyaki sauce(like Worcester sauce).
- about 1/2 Japanese pumpkin
- cooking oil
- Japanese pumpkins are green very hard. You can peel if you like, but the peel is quite good in pumpkin salad. Wash and cut about half the pumpkin into small chunks and boil in a pan for about 10-15 minutes.
- Drain pumpkin and mash pumpkin.
- Add some mayonnaise and a pinch of salt and mix well.
- Serve pumpkin salad or use for croquettes
- Shape pumpkin salad into little rolls or patties.
- Dip patties first in flour, then beaten egg, an finally breadcrumbs.
- Fry in oil at 350°F(180ºC)until golden brown. Drip off or towel off excess oil.
- Serve with tonkatsu , okonomiyaki, or Worcester sauce, shredded cabbage and rice.