Here's a simple and and delicious Japanese beef and potato stew recipe for niku-jaga（肉じゃが), literally"meat-potatoes" in Japanese. The broth is rich and a little sweet, great on cold days or anytime.
- 5oz.(150g) thinly sliced beef
- 4 potatoes
- 1 carrot
- 1 onion
- 2 cups water
- 4 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 3 Tbsp. mirin(sweet cooking sake
- Peel potatoes, cut into bite sized pieces and wash them in cold water(to remove excess starch).
- Cut carrot and onion into small chunk pieces.
- Heat some oil in a pan and brown the meat and vegetables.
- Add the water and bring to a boil. Add soy sauce, sugar and mirin to the pan and reduce the heat.
- Cook for about 15 minutes on low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Serve in individual medium sized bowls.
Ground beef is often substituted for the sliced beef. It's also popular to add green beans or peas for a little green, or shirataki, the clear, gelatinous noodles often put in sukiyaki