This deep-fried breaded shrimp or ebi-fry(エビフライ) is a favorite in Japan. It's served with rice on the side or on top of a bowl of rice, "donburi" style. This Japanese dish definitely suits a western palette.
Serves 4 216 cal./serving
- 12 medium or 8 large shrimp(prawns)
- all-purpose flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- tomatoes or cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 lemon cut into wedges
- mayonnaise, tartar sauce, or Worctershire sauce
- Shell shrimp with tails still attached and devein. Make 3- small incisions on the underside of each shrimp to prevent curling. Gently straighten shrimp by pulling until you feel a slight give.
- Dip shrimp first in flour, then beaten egg, and finally breadcrumbs.
- Heat oil in pan to medium(350°F/180ºC). Deep fry shrimp until golden brown. Remove and let drain on a rack.
- Serve on individual plates with a mound of diced cabbage, sliced or cherry tomatoes, a lemon wedge, and choice of sauce. Or serve on top of a bowl of rice "donburi" style.