Take something as ordinary as green peas and white rice and combine them to create an exciting new dish, Aomame Gohan(青豆御飯). Frozen peas would work equally well. This rice dish is usually served in the spring and represents the coming of the season. Eat this with your favorite meat or fish entree.
Serves 4 484 cal./serving
- 1-1/2 cups tender green peas
- 2-1/2 cups short grain rice
- 6 inch(15 cm) piece kelp(konbu)
- 2 Tbsp. sake
- 2 tsp. salt
- Wash rice several times with cold water, pouring off until water is almost clear. Add 1.1 cups of water per cup of rice. Soak for 30 minutes-1 hour.
- Do not wash kelp, as the white powder contains much of the flavor. Instead, wipe both sides of kelp with a damp cloth and cut 1/2 inch(1-1/2cm) slits at 1 inch(2-1/2cm) intervals.
- In a medium saucepan, combine rice, cooking water, and remaining ingredients. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Remove kelp, replace lid and continue boiling and reduce heat. Cook for about 13 minutes. Turn heat to high for 5 seconds and remove from heat. Let rice stand covered for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove lid and lightly fluff rice with a wooden spoon or Japanese rice paddle(shamoji)