Search Japanese Food Recipes

Saturday, August 31, 2013

Mochi with Penut Butter



One of Japan's most traditional foods is mochi (omochi), pounded rice cakes made from mochigome, the extremely sticky, gluttenous rice. This is an especial favorite for new years, but can be ejoyed year round. Mochi is a thick, heavy, chewy food. It doesn't have a lot of taste by itself, but is served in a variety of ways, in soups, or often toasted and dipped in a sugar and soy sauce mixture. But my favorite way to enjoy mochi is my American fusion, toasted mochi with peanut butter. It's a perfect match, the sweet peanut butter and the thick, satisfying mochi. Every Japanese I tell this to just to just drops their jaw in disbelief. They can't imagine. I never heard the expression "too sweet", till I came to Japan, but don't knock it till you try it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...