Kimchi is Korean spicy pickled cabbage served on the side of many meals. It's very popular in Japan, too and available at your Asian grocer. Here's a beef and kimchi stir-fry with lettuce (牛肉とレタスのキムチ炒め)recipe. You can eat it two ways: you can stir-fry the lettuce together or use fresh lettuce leaves to make a stir-fry wrap, like eating fajitas..
Serves 3-4 112 cal./serving
- 7 oz.(200g) beef, loin or rump, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup kimchi
- 1/2 head lettuce or 1 whole leafy lettuce
- 1 Tbsp. sesame oil
- 2 pinches salt
- Cut beef into 1-1/2 inch(4cm) strips. Cut kimchi into bite sized pieces. Mix beef and kimchi.
- Tear lettuce leaves into bite sized pieces.
- Heat sesame oil in a pan over high heat. Add beef and kimchi. Saute until meat turns color. Do not overcook.
- Add lettuce, seasoned with salt and stir-fry briefly until lettuce just begins to wilt.
- Remove from pan and serve immediately.
- To eat Korean style, stir fry beef and kimchi without lettuce. Serve fresh leafy green lettuce(not Iceberg) on the table with stir fry. Take a leaf, add some stir-fry with chopsticks and make a lettuce wrap like a fajita and eat.